Pages

Tuesday 2 November 2010

[W.I.P] The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) - Progress.

Welcome back,
                         as I promised the other day I've made progress on my latest battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), I had a day off work so had a lot of time to work on them. Having painted their kilts on Sunday, I set about painting their socks and tunics on Monday night and the rest of them today.

Work In Progress: The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)
As with all of my battalions there are eight stands (one for each company), these are ready for sand and flocking, which hopefully I'll get done tomorrow.


Work In Progress: The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

The helmets are painted white, not strictly correct for home service uniform but the helmets just wouldn't look right the other way, a bit of a compromise but I think they look pretty good. Now just to get them based up.

Work In Progress: The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Hopefully I'll get these finished up tomorrow and a new battalion base-coated, anyway until then...

Work In Progress: The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Haarken



4 comments:

  1. Some very tidy looking figures there - if these are to see duty in a VSF setting, what figures are you considering for their adversaries?

    I've got some Baccus left over from a NWF project, and had thought of doing them alongside some VSF tanks, but have been a bit stuck coming up with suitable 6mm Martian enemies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Yes these are going to see duty in a VSF setting, at the moment I have plans for several adversaries:

    1. War of the Worlds type tripods (On their way hopefully).

    2. Barsoomian style Tharks (possibly using 10mm miniatures or converted from 6mm miniatures) and Red Martians using Baccus models (possibly the Zulu or the Mahdist range for riflemen and dipping into other ranges where needed).

    3. French (Using Baccus Franco Prussian War range for the infantry and cavalry and either Heroics and Ros or Irregular for ww1 tanks)

    4. Japanese (Using Baccus ACW and Samurai range for infantry and cavalry and either Heroics and Ros or Irregular for some A7V tanks)

    Would love to see your take on 6mm VSF and I'd be grateful for any suggestions if you know of any better models out there, I haven't seen any Heroics and Ros or Irregular miniatures in the flesh so i'm not sure what the quality is like or if their ranges could yield anything i need.

    Haarken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Haarken sounds like an interesting range of dangerous adversaries! I particularly like the idea of the Samurai matched with A7Vs - I would recommend the H&R version over the Irregular, though.

    It hadn't occurred to me to look at 10mm, but come to think of it a Fantasy range like Pendrakens would yield a whole myriad of types....

    Heroics and Ros infantry is the slightest and smallest in heft of any of the manufacturers, and although some of the ranges are quite good for their diminutive size, the sculpting can be very plain - Irregular on the other hand, are often over-sculpted or even blobby and ill proportioned, but for all that have bags of character, and plenty of scope for strange conversions - have a look at the posts on my Blog on 6mm North West Frontier - I used Irreg. for those.

    I totally concur, in spite of recent Entente from our Govt, in casting the French as the other protagonist - the FPW from Baccus should be great - I think I'll definitely take a look at those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the quick reply, had your NW Frontier bookmarked for a while, definitely think I will have a look at Irregular again for some more infantry and cavalry and at H&R for the A7V's. May need a few test stands from both just to see for myself.

    Glad you approve of the French as my other protagonist, I definitely feel like it fits the time period much better than all too often ill-cast Prussians.

    ReplyDelete